The room was used as the slaughter and sale room of a kosher butchery from the 1840s. Kosher is the Hebrew word for “suitable” or “in order” and describes the Jewish purity regulations, including for the slaughter of animals and for the preparation of the dishes. Abraham Humberg had taken over the butchery from his relatives, the Plaat family, in 1882. His sons, Leopold and Siegmund, ran it until 1938. A hanging device used to exsanguinate the animals, the green hygienic paint on the walls and the remains of decorative painting have been reconstructed, based on original finds in room.